Monday, March 21, 2005

Wow - back in an orchestra!

The audition and 1st rehearsal went well - mostly anyway. I definitely could tell that it has been a LONG time since I have played in an orchestra. The conductor said she would love to have me play with them and several people there remembered me from before!

I will have my work cut out for practice. This next concert is an ambitious one: Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue", music from "Appalachian Spring" by Aaron Copland, Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings", and several other modern pieces by local composers. Technically, some of the parts are challenging: the Barber is in 5 flats, key signature change all over the place in most of them, there are double flats, key signatures ranging from 12/8 to to 5/2. The cello parts range from low open C string through tenor clef and in the Barber - up into treble clef - high g flat (that's the g just over the top line and the cello part STAYS in that range for half a page IN five flats). Thankfully it's mostly whole notes.

The drive to orchestra practices is approximately 45 minuites from here. At first I was worried about the cost of extra gas for me to drive out for rehearsals and concerts, but then I was thrilled to find that gas prices are MUCH lower there than out here. The Esso near our house is charging 97.9 cents a litre for regular gas and the Esso I filled up at after rehearsal was charging 66.4 cents per litre! So if I can manage to always fill up the tank out there - the price difference may cover the gas costs of my going out there!

No comments: